L-Acoustics rounds out its industry-leading K Series, with the introduction of K3, the manufacturer’s smallest full-range enclosure, designed to deliver big sound for mid-size events with audiences ranging from 1,000 to 10,000. K3 provides full-range bandwidth without needing a flown companion subwoofer, and its highly efficient design reduces amplification needs. These features make K3 faster and simpler, as well as more sustainable and economical to deploy.
“K3 is ready for the events of today and tomorrow,” shares L-Acoustics Executive Director of Application Design Florent Bernard. “Our design team created a dual-12-inch-based system with the form factor and price of a 10-inch design, without the inherent performance compromises of 10-inch loudspeakers. K3 offers long-throw, full-range performance in a compact, accessible package, tailor-made for small to mid-capacity events, and venues that are the mainstay of most sound providers. It is a ‘no compromises’ tool, perfectly adapted to the current event landscape and, when paired with K1 & K2, is quickly and powerfully scalable for large-capacity events.”
Providing the full-range L-Acoustics contour from an enclosure that is 33% smaller than K2 and weighing only 43 kg (95 lbs), K3 is ideal for applications that require plenty of power and bandwidth from a small form factor, including mid-size tours, festivals, corporate events, religious services, and other productions. Dimensioned to keep sightlines clear, K3 integrates easily into venues with space restrictions.
The new two-way active WST enclosure possesses all of the hallmarks that have made K Series the reference in line array technology, including optimized mechanical design for reduced weight, laminar vents for powerful and linear low frequency response, and time-tested effortless rigging. K3 also features L-Acoustics Panflex™ technology, which provides sound designers with quick access to a choice of four horizontal directivity patterns: 70° or 110° symmetrical or 90° asymmetrical on either side. With Panflex and inter-element angles ranging from 0° to 10°, K3 line source coverage can be precisely tailored to fit any audience geometry.
Equipped with the L-Acoustics signature DOSC waveguide for long-throw capability (>35 m/100 ft), K3 boasts an exceptional bandwidth of 42 Hz to 20 kHz (-10 dB, 70° directivity) and maximum SPL of 143 dB. Without needing a dedicated subwoofer, K3 can be used as the main system for vocal and music reinforcement in most applications, or as a complement to K1 or K2 as outfills or delays. When deployed with KS28 subwoofers, K3 excels as a compact main system for sonically demanding live events.
The product’s power-efficient system design meets today’s requirement for more sustainable deployment and reduced truck space. One LA12X amplified controller can power up to six K3, meaning that a single LA-RAK AVB unit can drive up to 18 K3.
With the first K3 production units already shipping to customers, L-Acoustics will deliver K3i, a fixed install version, in 2021. K3i will be superbly suited for an even broader range of applications using a distributed approach.
- Description: 2-way active WST enclosure, amplified by LA4X/LA8/LA12X
- Usable bandwidth (-10 dB): 42 Hz - 20 kHz ([K3_70])
- Maximum SPL: 143 dB ([K3_70])
- Vertical directivity: depending on number of elements and array curvature
- Horizontal directivity: 70°/110° symmetric or 90° asymmetric
- LF: 2 × 12’’ neodymium cone driver
- HF: 1 × 4’’ diaphragm neodymium compression driver
- Nominal impedance LF/HF: 8 Ω/8 Ω
- Connectors: 2 × 4-point speakON
- Rigging: 4-point captive rigging system
- Handling: 2 large side handles
- Inter-enclosure angles [deg]: 0.25, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7.5, 10
- Weight (net): 43 kg/94.7 lb
- Cabinet: Premium grade Baltic birch plywood
- Side panels: Die cast aluminum
- Front: Coated steel grill Acoustically neutral 3D fabric
- Rigging components: High grade steel with anti-corrosion coating
- Finish: Dark grey brown Pantone 426 C
- Protection rating: IP55
For more information on the new L-Acoustics K3, visit: https://www.l-acoustics.com/en/product/k3/.